The Aim of the St James and Bartonsham Car Club is to reduce the carbon emissions associated with transport and to provide a cheaper, more resilient transport system for the benefit of local residents. We aim to do this by:
- Owning cars of different types, all practical, economical work/business/holiday vehicles.
- Buying secondhand vehicles and selling/scrapping them when they are considered as being too money/time consuming for us to maintain.
- Maintaining a balance of club car members to vehicles, to both get good overall utilisation and reasonable availability to meet members’ requirements.
- The members of the Club taking responsibility for managing the affairs of the Club and doing so in an inclusive and transparent manner.
- Basing vehicles in different locations across the St James area of Hereford
- Our longer-term view goal is to move away from fossil-fuel powered cars to ones using renewable forms of energy and designed to be as ecologically sustainable as possible. We have to do this within the context of what is economically viable for a low-budget, community-run car club such as ours.
We also get along socially, running a bi-monthly members meeting in one of our homes, and other events such as summer picnics.
If you are interested in joining us, we would love to hear from you. If your car use is low (average 2-3 times a week, and under 6,000 miles per year) it would probably be cheaper to belong to a Car Club than to pay your own tax and car insurance costs.